Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bhagavan's Promises

This is taken from an interview of David Godman by Maalok:

DG: When devotees surrendered their problems to Sri Ramana, it was the same as surrendering them to God. They were submitting to the same divine authority, surrendering to a living manifestation of that same power. Here are some statements that Sri Ramana made on this subject. I have taken them from a book I am currently working on. Each sentence was originally recorded by Muruganar in Tamil verse:



1. My devotees have the qualifications to rejoice abundantly, like children of an emperor.

2. Abandon the drama [of the world] and seek the Self within. Remaining within, I will protect you, [ensuring] that no harm befalls you.

3. If you inquire and know me, the indweller, in that state there will be no reason for you to worry about the world.

4. For the cruel disease of burning samsara to end, the correct regimen is to entrust all your burdens on me.

5. In order that your needless anxieties cease, make sure that all your burdens are placed on me through the brave act of depending totally on grace.

6. If you completely surrender all your responsibilities to me, I will accept them as mine and manage them.

7. When bearing the entire burden remains my responsibility, why do you have any worries?

8. Long ago you offered your body, possessions and soul to me, making them mine, so why do you still regard these things as 'I' and 'mine' and associate yourself with them?

9. Seek my grace within the Heart. I will drive away your darkness and show you the light. This is my responsibility.



These verses come from a sub-section I have entitled 'Bhagavan's Promises'. When people surrendered completely to him, he was more than happy to manage their lives for them. Just about everyone discovered that when she surrendered the burden of responsibility for her life to Sri Ramana, problems diminished or went away completely.

The Guru is primarily there to teach the truth, to bestow grace on his disciples and to bring about the liberation of the mature souls who come to him. But he also has this very nice sideline of being able to manage the affairs of his devotees much better than they can.

~~~

for the full interview, please see http://www.davidgodman.org/interviews/al1.shtml

I hope David Godman will not keep us waiting too long for this promised book!

4 comments:

Arun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arun said...

Wonderful promises indeed!
I was wondering if the book he is referring to, is the Guru Vachaka Kovai :
http://davidgodman.org/rteach/gvk_intro.shtml
But I couldn't find the subsection "Bhagavan's promises" in the text by a quick search. The other book by Muruganar that he has translated is "Padamalai". Perhaps that has this section.

Thanks again Ramanamayi for the wonderful blog.

In Him,
Arun

Anonymous said...

I can hardly breathe after reading this. I don't know what to say!

I wish to cry and exult with joy at the same time.


>Long ago you offered your body, possessions and soul to me, making them mine, so why do you still regard these things as 'I' and 'mine' and associate yourself with them?

What answer do we have ?

The post is beautiful beyond woards.

These are the most beautiful words the Master ever said, I feel.

anon.

p.s. these are like His nine commandments. There must be a tenth one somewhere to complete the set.

ramanamayi said...

Yes, I agree. To me too, these are His most beautiful words.

Nothing expresses the depth and breadth of what He is willing to do for us better than these promises. He is not saying he will share the burden, or give some good advice -- He is saying He will take it ALL.

And bring an end to the cruel disease.

His love is truly limitless.

What Grace to have been claimed by Him!